All About the Japanese Culture

Monday, March 2, 2009

Pocari Sweat

Probably most foreigners who either visit or start living in Japan, will soon stat to ask this question to their Japanese friends: “Why choose SWEAT for the name of a soft drink?” For foreigners it is a disgusting first impression which brings about hesitation to actually purchase a soft drink named “Pocari Sweat.” After I had been in Japan for about three or four months I just had to ask one of my students in my English class. She started grinning and giggling but wasn’t able to answer my question. Her English communication skills were enough to explain it to me if she knew, but she just had never, like any other Japanese, thought about the deeper meaning of the word. Curiosity about this sports drink grew and I asked almost all of my students that week. Unfortunately I didn’t get beyond the assumption that it is because both are Fluids…

I gave up inquiring about Pocari Sweat when even my wife who well educated couldn’t deliver a satisfying answer.

Recently (five years later) I remembered this quest for an answer and started doing some more research. My Japanese language proficiency level has grown and have learned that Pocari or when written in Japanese Katakana or Hiragana becomes Pokkari. Pokkari refers to a white cloud floating in a blue sky. So I started wondering about the design of Pocari Sweat’s logo, which is something like a white cloud floating against a blue sky. But then what is the relation between white clouds and a sports drink?

How about “sweat” then? Well, speculating about that is easier than Pocari. Pocari Sweat is advertised as being a good sports drink because it contains electrolytes such as sodium, potassium. So when we sweat we should replace the lost fluids and electrolytes by consuming Pocari Sweat. So, even Japanese people with only a little English comprehension can understand its purpose easily.

But, after more research I found new information from the source (Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd.). Sweat is used because for Japanese people it refers to diligence, making efforts, and doing something refreshing. So in the end it is just a case of cultural difference.

Now for Pocari or Pokkari: According to a spokes person at the source, it carries no particular meaning, other than that for Japanese people; it sounds relaxing, easeful, and light.

No comments:

Post a Comment